Mount Ausangate (6,377mts/20,921ft) is the highest and most sacred mountain in Southern Peru! Arguably the most difficult trek in Cusco. Its the highest trek in Peru with the entire circuit taking place over 4500 meters above sea level. For those looking for the ultimate challenge look no further, the Ausengate trek has it all and not for the faint hearted.
For centuries it has been very important to the religious beliefs of the Andean people, who still go on annual pilgrimages to its icy slopes. With spectacular glacial views, uninterrupted beauty and solitude, this is a must do trip for experienced trekkers who love a true outdoor adventure. Hiking completely around this mystical mountain, you will camp near hot springs and turquoise lakes inhabited by numerous bird species, including the Andean goose and the massive Andean condor with a wing span reaching 16 feet! As you trek, you will walk amongst herds of llamas and alpacas in remote native villages. In addition, you will get to enjoy the natural colors of the recently discovered Rainbow Mountain, hiking through some secluded communities and witnessing the coolest natural phenomenon you will ever see! Rainbow mountain also offers a selection of wildlife; including soaring condors, vicuñas, and Cara Cara falcons. You will see snow-capped peaks, herds of llamas, glaciers and turquoise lakes, all set within an incredibly colorful mountain range created by the various mineral deposits.
This trek is available to depart any day of the week as long as we have two people!
|No. OF PEOPLE||PRICE|
|2 to 8 people||$ 577 USD per person|
***This price includes the extra pack horse which will carry your belongings up to 7kgs. We provide you a duffel bag, in which to put your things.
***We provide large Eureka 4 person tents for every 2 trekkers.
- Group of 5 or more: $30 USD – All you need is to book the trek together at the same time.
- Sleeping Bag: $20 USD per person per trek (It will be clean and warm)
- Air Mattress: $20 USD per person per trek (Therm-a-rest mattresses)
- Walking Poles: $15 USD per pair per trek (Professional Poles that can be extended)
- Personal tent: $30 USD – (Tent for solo trekkers only)
ADDED VALUES for FREE
- Foam mattresses
- Camping pillow
- Transfer from the airport to your hotel (Cusco only)
- Boiled water for drinking purposes
- Personal pack horse included
- Duffel bags and liner bags
- Thick warm blanket to put over the sleeping bag
- Hot water bottles to put into your sleeping bag so you can sleep like a baby
WHAT IS INCLUDED FOR THE AUSANGET TREK?
- Private transportation to start of the trek
- Professional English speaking guide
- Meals as indicated
- 7kgs personal luggage
- Duffel bags will be handed at briefing for your extra luggage to be carried by the horses
- Spacious tents, sleeping mats, dining tent, kitchen tent, latrine tent
- Horses to carry the group’s equipment (food, tents, tables, etc.)
- Emergency horse in case you are tired or feel ill
- Emergency Oxygen bottle and first aid kit
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Breakfast on the 1st day
- Dinner on the 6th day
- Hotels before and after the trek
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended)
- Flight tickets
- Sleeping Bag – $20 USD per person per trek (They are steam cleaned after every trek)
- Air Mattress – $20 USD per person per trek (Therma–rest mattresses)
- Walking Poles – $15 USD per pair per trek (Professional Poles that can be extended)
- Personal tent – $30 USD – (Tent for solo trekkers only)
- Tips for the crew, guide, cook and porters of Orange Nation
WHAT YOU HAVE TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Original Passport: (it has to be the same as the used to book the trek)
- Valid University card: (if you booked as a student)
- Good Daypack: (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: 2-3L (Camelbaks are encouraged)
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Sleeping Bag: (can be rented from Orange Nation)
- Headlamp: essential
- Toilet paper
WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR DUFFLE BAG FOR THE AUSANGATE TREK?
As a Direct Local Tour operator we provide you with a duffel bag at your briefing and INCLUDE an extra porter who will carry up to 7 kgs or 14lbs including your 2.5kg sleeping bag, mattress and extra clothing.
- 2 t-shirts
- 2 hiking pants at least
- 4 sets of undergarments
- 3 sets of hiking socks
- Bathing Suit for the thermal waters
- Fleece/ Thermals
- Warm clothes, down jacket — 2nd campsite temp around 3º C
- Waterproof gloves (even if they are ski gloves, take them)
- Comfortable shoes for camp
- Quickdry towel. We provide small ones, you might prefer something larger
- Small bottle of soap: we provide warm water each day to wash.
- Battery Charger: No electricity along the trek
- Large plastic bags will be provided at the office — Please ask for them
- Sleeping bag: It has to be at least -15ºC – This can be rented from us
- Face moisturizer
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Personal medications
- First aid kit: band aids, moleskin, etc
WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR BACKPACK FOR THE AUSANGATE TREK?
We highly recommend a small backpack 30 to 40L for hiking in the day. The remainder of your belongings will be in your duffel bag at camp.
- Water: Please supply your own water until the first lunch spot, then we will provide you with cold boiled water at every meal time. Please bring your canteens
- Sun hat
- Insect repellent
- Headlamp: essential
- Wool hat
- Rain gear
- Snacks like chocolate bars, cereal bars or any dry fruits
- Rain poncho
- Hand sanitizer
- Toilet paper and small plastic bag for waste
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips
Why travel with Orange Nation Peru?
We have become the leaders in small group adventure travel over the past three decades by consistently listening to our travelers and delivering what they desire: adaptable itineraries, the freedom to explore, smaller group sizes, safety and peace of mind, and knowledgeable local guides who provide unique insights into the destination that would be missed through any other means of travel.Learn more
EXPERT GUIDES : Our expedition staff are experienced, enthusiastic and among the best in the industry - they are our secret to success
SMALL GROUPS: Travelling with us will always feel like going with friends and not with a group of strangers in an organized tour.
OUR EXPERIENCE: With fifteen years’ experience and over 25 Packages to Machu Picchu alone, our team knows how to deliver a successful expedition.
ENVIRONMENTAL: ENVIRONMENTAL: Education and conservation are our passion. We aim to create lifelong ambassadors for the protection of all wilderness areas.
Ready to Create a Unique Dream Travel in Perú?
Recommended for you
Here you have other options that will suit your needs from the Rainbow Mountain Treks